Magicblocks Lesson 1
Create Magicblocks.io Account
- Go to Magicblocks website, http://magicblocks.io/
- Click on Signup Now
- Click on the Signup button after inserted your details
- Go to the email account you provided and activate your Magicblocks account with the Activation Link
- Follow the Activation Link which we have sent you in an email
Login to Your Magicblocks.io Account
- Go to Magicblocks.io official website – magicblocks.io
- Select LOGIN
- Provide your login details
- Enter your email address and the Magicblocks Password and sign in to Magicblocks
Start the Playground
The playground is the visual programming environment based on Node-Red that has been customized for seamless integration with hardware devices to enable IoT. When you log in for the first time, your playground will not be running. If you do not have a valid subscription, you will be allowed to run the playground only for 1 hour continuously before it is automatically stopped. You will need to restart the playground manually after this 1-hour period. You can subscribe to the Standard Subscription by entering the coupon code in the Subscription tab provided with your Magicbit device. If you have any issue please write to email@example.com
Create a new device
Go to Device Manager and add a new device. Set device type as Magicbit & set the status to Active. You can use any name and description.
Keep this browser tab open, since you will need to copy the device ID and the key to set up the device.
Setting up a device
- Connect Magicbit to the computer using provided USB cable.
- Connect the Magicbit to the computer. After, click the
- Download the Magicbit Uploader and install on your computer. After, open the Magicbit Uploader software and install the drivers, then select your device COM port.
- Finally, install the Magicblocks firmware.
- Wait for the installation to finish. Afterward, connect your computer to the Magicbit WiFi network.
- Then, click next button and you will be directed the webpage below and close the page.
- Login to Magicblocks, navigate to Device Manager, and check if the Connection column comes up as a green indicator. If yes, you can proceed to the next step. Finally, disconnect from Magicbit WiFi and reconnect to your default WiFi.
Go to the playground!
- Login to Magicblocks and click on Playground Button to open the playground.
- The playground is a hosted instance of a customized version of the open-source Node-Red application. On the left, you will find the palette where all the blocks will reside. You can drag and drop the blocks from the palette to the canvas and start rolling very quickly. Once done, click the Deploy button in the top right corner and all your changes will be saved. In the next section, we will go through some examples covering all the relevant blocks.
Let’s start magic by displaying text on the Magicbit display.
- Turn on your Magicbit board that was set up in the previous section and wait for it to connect
- Open the playground
- Drag and drop the Display block under the category Magicbit
- Double-click on the block and select the device ID
- Drag and drop inject blocks under the input category and connect them to the Display block
- In one inject node-set payload type as String and type Hello Magicbit in the text box. You can set a topic too.
- Click deploy
- Click the button in inject node to see the magic. You can set any text from anywhere in the world!!!